Friday, March 27, 2009

A Painting's Background




As I gain experience in the "Daily Painting" genre, I am learning that "backgrounds count." I truly thought that, if the subject was glorious, the background was superfluous. I was wrong. In the past two weeks, I have changed four backgrounds--two for clients and two for myself. I must admit, these changes made a world of difference.

Above is "Shark Eye Shell, No. 2" with the original, blackish background. I had it on eBay a couple of weeks ago, but it didn't sell. I even received a comment that it looked too ominous with such a foreboding background, even though the shell was nearly perfect. I hung it in my home and pondered that correspondence. She was right.

The new version is below the original, now with a bluish tinge (reminiscent of tumbled sea glass). Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I think this is a vast improvement.... Any thoughts on the matter?

1 comment:

  1. I actually like them both. The darker background brings drama to the painting, making the shell "pop" while the blue-green background produces a calmer, more sedate feeling. They are both beautiful - and create different responses in people. I guess it depends on the personality of the person buying, or the place they wish to hang it, and the effect they are looking for.

    ReplyDelete